Hermes Webmail on GMail
1. Redirect mail from Hermes server
- Navigate to Hermes.
- Go to "Settings" on the right top hand corner in the webmail interface and navigate to "Mail Processing" and "Redirect".
- Then, tick the "Enable" box and enter the Gmail address to which you wish to forward your email. Optionally, tick the next tickbox if you want to save a copy of your email in hermes. Click "Update".
2. Set up Gmail to send mail on behalf of your Cambridge identity:
- If you haven't already, start by registering for Gmail and logging in.
- On the upper right side of your Gmail home screen, click on "Settings". Navigate to the "Accounts and Import" tab.
- Then, under "Send mail as", click the "Send mail from another address" button and enter your Cambridge email address.
- After clicking "Next Step >>", you'll be asked if you'd like to send mail through Gmail's SMTP servers or use the Hermes servers. This choice is up to you, but I just picked Gmail's servers. Click "Next Step >>" again.
- Finally, send the verification email by clicking the appropriate button. If all goes according to plan, this should end up in your Gmail inbox. Check your Spam folder to be sure. Once you've opened the validation email, click the link to be able to send mail as your Cambridge identity.
- That should be it, but note that now when you send emails you should make sure to pick the correct "from" address.
3. (Optional) Set up Gmail filters to distinguish your Cambridge email from your other email.
- If you'd like your Cambridge email labeled as such, first click on "Settings" again and then click on the "Labels" tab.
- Create a new label for all your Cambridge emails (creatively, I called mine "Cambridge") and navigate to the "Filters" tab.
- Then, click on the "Create a new filter" link.
- Fill out the fields by putting your Cambridge email adddress as the "To:" field.
- Click "Test Search" to collect the emails that you've received, and click "Next Step >>".
- For the action, tick the "Apply the label" tickbox and choose the label you've created for your Cambridge emails. Tick the "Also apply filter to ___ coversations below." if you would like to include all the emails you've currently received.
- You can get pretty fancy with these filters--you can have incoming emails skip the inbox entirely so that you'd only see them when you clicked on your label, etc.
Based on information from: http://stuff.mit.edu/people/dbetser/hermesgmail/migratingtogmail.html