King's offers a wonderful, vibrant, and stimulating environment, yet college life can at the same time be stressful, draining, and isolating.

The KCGS Welfare Offcer is here to provide you with the social support you need if you struggle with mental and/or physical glitches - or even simply the stress of graduate study.  You can contact them in complete confidence via email: grad.welfare [at] kings.cam.ac.uk.

In addition, the College and the University offer a wide range of welfare help and support to all students.

Below is a basic guide to the welfare suport available both within college and the wider University.  Further informations can be found on the College intranet and the CUSU welfare website.

Registering with a GP and a dentist

Every student is encouraged to register with a local GP (general practicioner) surgery on arrival in Cambridge.  It's best to find one in the first few weeks, if possible.  GPs cannot provide short notice, urgent appointments for people who are not registered.  So by doing so you'll make the process far quicker in the event that you fall ill.

A list of GP surgeries at which you can register as a student can be found at the end of this page.

The University Dental Service provides NHS and private dental treatment to students and staff of the University.  It is located at 3 Trumpington Street and appointments can be made by telephone on 01223 332860.  For more information, see www.dental.cam.ac.uk.

In case of emergencies, the nearest Accident and Emergency department is at Addenbrooke's Hospital.

Welfare support in King's

College Nurse

The College Nurse, Vicky Few, holds a 'drop in' surgery in the College Health Centre at Webb's Gate.

King's College Health Centre Opening Hours

Monday 08:30 to 13:00
Tuesday: 08:30 to 13:00, 15:00 to 18:00
Wednesday: 08:30 to 13:00
Thursday: 08:30 to 13:00, 15:00 to 18:00
Friday: 08:00 to 13:00

The week before and after Full Term:
Monday to Friday: 10:00 to 12:00.

Email: vicky.few [at] kings.cam.ac.uk

If necessary, call 01223 331650 during surgery hours to arrange a room visit.  Out of hours the nurse may be contacted at the discretion of the Tutorial Office or the duty Porter.

The nurse has experience in a wide range of medical and psychological conditions and can offer advice and support during your time at Cambridge.  She liaises with other support services and with the medical practises with which students register. You are encouraged to visit her if you feel unwell, sustain an injury, or have a problem you with to discuss in confidence.


Attack alarms, condoms, pregancy tests and Chlamydia screening tests are available to you free of charge.  Condoms are available in the Grad Suite bathroom and you can also request these directly from me. CUSU also run the C-card scheme, which allows students access to free condoms and sexual health advice.  You can find more information about this at www.cusu.cam.ac.uk/sers/sexualhealth/ccard.

Pregnancy tests, Chlamydia tests, and attack alarms are available on request. If you wish to acquire these anonymously, leave a note in the Welfare Officer's pigeon hole and they will leave the requested item there for you to take.


If you believe current college and/or university policies are unfair or inadequate, then the Welfare Officer can act as a 'go-between' for you and the relevant college authorities.  Upon request, the concern can be discussed by the KCGS Executive Committeee, who can advise on what course of action to take next.  It might then go to one of several College committees, including College Council, or directly to the individual concerned.  Feedback will be given as it becomes available.

The Welfare Officer can also represent you on more serious cases of discrimination or harrassment.  If you wish to make an official complaint against the University or one of its members, then I can advise on what to do.  In such instances, should you prefer, your case can be passed on to an external body of representation such as CUSU Welfare.

Further information and contact numbers

Academic worries

If you have any academic problems, you should take to your supervisor, departmental advisor (ask in your department if you aren't assigned one), or with your Graduate Side Tutor at King's.  Other points of contact are the KCGS Academic Affairs Officer, the Graduate Union, the Board of Graduate Studies and the CUSU Academic Affairs Officer, who provides support for any students who have problems with their education of Cambridge, from exam appeals to supervisor issues.

Students with disabilities

The University runs a Disability resource center, which can be contacted via:

The Disability Resource Centre
Keynes House
24a Trumpington Street
Cambridge CB2 1QA

Tel: +44 (0)1223 332301
Fax: +44 (0)1223 766863
Email: disability [at] admin.cam.ac.uk

The DRC provides advice, information and support to all students with disabilities.  This includes study skills tuition and mentoring as well as the loan of specialist equipments.

The University attempts to offer study support for students with disabilities.  The Disability Committee has a loan pool of equipment, including a limited number of induction loops.  The University Library has installed a scanner system for the visually impaired, together with a Braille printer and a voice synthesiser.  For details of the University taping service, personal readers and note takers, contact the address above.

CUSU's Disabled Students' Campain can be contacted at disabled [at] cusu.cam.ac.uk.

Sexual Health Advice

Addenbrooke's Hospital

Addenbrooke's Hospital has a Sexual Health Clinic called Clinic 1A.

For more information, their website is www.addenbrookes.org.uk/serv/clin/med/gum1.html.  If you have any sexual health concerns, are worried you might have an STI, or just want a general check up, they can help.  Phone 217774 or 217239 for appointments, advice and information or visit their online sexual health advice sentre at www.addenbrookes.org.uk/shac/index.html.  Please note that they will not accept walk-in patients.

Addenbrooke's is linked to Silver Street and West Cambridge by the Uni4 bus service, on which University members receive a discount. For more information, see ww.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/embs/travel/bus/citi4.shtml.

The Laurels

The Laurels s a confidential sexual screening and contraception service. Appointment must be made, or you can attend the drop-in clinic at 15:00 - 17:00 on Monday (for emergency contraception, no appointment is required).  Contact information:

The Laurels
20 Newmarket Road
Cambridge CB5 8DT

Tel: 08456 505152

You can also find more information about sexual health advice services in Cambridge at www.sexualhealthcambs.nhs.uk.


Contraception is provided free of charge by your doctor or the family planning clinic.  Free condoms are pregnancy tests are also availalbe from Linkline at 17 St Edwards Passage.  You can buy condoms from the GU and CUSU very cheaply.  There are also free condoms always available in the Graduate Suite bathroom (where a free vending machine should shortly be installled).  Cambridge has a family planning clinic that can provide you with contraceptive advice, supplies and emergency contraception.  For more information, see www.addenbrookes.org.uk/serv/clin/women/cam_familyplan.html, or visit Cambridge Family Planning Service at the Laurels.


If you are worried you may be pregnant, you can get a free pregnancy test from the KCGS Welfare or Women's Officers.  You can also get a free pregnancy test from CUSU.

For support, along with the KCGS officers, college nurse, the Graduate Tutors, and CUSU officers, you can contact your GP, call Linkline (01223 744444 or 01223 367575) for confidential advices or contact a family planning clinic (e.g. The Laurels).  You can also contact the Pregnancy Crisis and Post Abortion care line on 0800 0282228.

Childcare at the University

In order for equality of opportunity to be a reality in Cambridge, quality, affordable childcare is a necessity.  Although King's lets out some flats suitable for families, like most colleges, it unfortunately has little provision for childcare.  Students with children are advised to consult the GU/CUSU Guide to Childcare in Cambridge, available from the Graduate Union office or online at www.admin.cam.ac.uk/univ/childcare/student and www.studentadvice.ac.uk/welfare/childcare.  On the website, you will find information on The Centreal Childcare Bursary Scheme and the childcare facilities and services within the University.  The following may also be of interest:

CUSU / GU Parent-Toddler Groups and Coffee Mornings
University Centre
Wednesday, 10:30-12:30.

Trinity Hall Parent-Toddler Group
Queens' College Nursery
Friday, 15:30 (Term-time only)

For more information on non-University childcare, contact:
Cambridgeshire County Council
Social Services Department
74 Burleigh Street
Cambridge CB1 1DJ

Mental Health

Of courser we hope that your time at King's and at the University in general, will be very happy and successful, but if you do experience any problems, there are man people who are there to help you, and a wide range of excellent support available in College, the University and the city.

University Counselling Service (UCS)

14 Trumpington Street (tel: (3)32865) www.counselling.cam.ac.uk

UCS offers a free and confidential counselling service throughout the year, except for vacation closure at Christmas and Easter.  The Service provides help for large numbers of students.  The Counselling Service offers groups specially run for post-grads of all years who want to share experience and gain insight into difficulties they may be having. For more information, see: www.counselling.cam.ac.uk/groups.html.


Linkline is a student-run nightline, where you can talk to someone in absolute confidence. It offers confidential, anonymous, non-directive and non-judgemental support. You can talk to Linkline for whatever reason. You can phone Linkline any night in Full Term between 19:00 and 07:00 on either 01223 744444 or 01223 367575. They are located at 17 St Edward's Passage (off Market Square), so feel free to drop in between 19:00 and 00:00.

Other sources of health and welfare information

NHS 111 service
A 24-hour line for urgent advice in non-life-threatening situations, which allows you to to speak to trained advisors supported by nurses and paramedics.  Calls to 111 are free from landlines or mobiles.

Eating Disorders Support Phoneline
01233 740555; operating Mondays and Wednesdays during Full Term from 20:00 to 22:00. Eating Disorders Support.  Email: eds [at] cusu.cam.ac.uk.

Eating Disorders Association
01603 621414 www.edauk.com

01223 364455 www.samaritans.org.uk

Get Connected
Support for young people on any issue and free connection to services which can help.  Freephone 0800 096 0096.

RASAC (Rape and Sexual Abuse Counselling)
01962 848024 (for women), 01962848027 (for men); Monday 11:30-13:30, Tuesday and Thursday 19:00-21:30.

National Drugs Helpline
Confidential 24-hour accurate info and advice on drugs.  Freephone 0800 776600.

Info and counselling on how to give up smoking. Freephone 0800 002200; 09:00-21:00 every day.

Terrence Higgins Trust
Info on HIV and AIDS. Freephone 0800 567123; www.tht.org.uk.

GP surgeries in Cambridge

N.B. the closest surgeries to King's are in italics.

  • Trumpington Street Medical Practice, 56 Trumpington Street, Cambridge CB2 1RG; 01223 361611
  • Cambridge City Centre Medical Practice, 28 Petty Cury/65-67 Sidney Street, Cambridge CB2 3ND; 01223 366811
  • Newnham Walk Surgery, Wordsworth Grove, Cambridge CB3 9HS; CB3 9HS; 01223 366811
  • Bridge Street Surgery, 2 All Saints Passage, Cambridge CB2 3LD; 08444 773939
  • The Red House Surgry, 96 Chesterton Road, Cambridge CB4 1ER; 01223 365555
  • Woodlands Surgery, 32-34 Station Road, Cambridge CB1 2JH; 01223 697600
  • York Street Medical Practice; 146-148 York Street, Cambridge CB1 2PY; 01223 364116
  • Huntingdon Road Surgery, 1 Huntingdon Road, Cambridge CB3 0DB; 01223 364127
  • Lensfield Medical Practice, 48 Lensfield Road, Cambridge CB2 1EH; 01223 651020